Munti LGU urges residents to be cautious in workplaces, public transpo amid rising COVID-19 cases

Recording a 65% increase in active cases over the last month, the local government of Muntinlupa is urging city residents to remain observing health protocols especially the working class who are the subject of recent COVID-19 transmission.

Muntinlupa City Health Officer Dra. Teresa Tuliao said recent COVID-19 active cases are residents who work outside the city and may have contracted the virus in their workplaces or during their commute.

Tuliao noted that most of infected employees have transmitted the virus to their family members leading to the increase of cases in the city.

As of March 7, Muntinlupa CHO recorded 129 active cases from the city’s nine barangays. Muntinlupa only has 78 active cases last February 7.

The doubling time, or the number of days for COVID-19 cases to double in number, is 28.60 days and the attack rate is at 10.46/1000 as of March 7. The average daily new cases for the past 2 weeks in Muntinlupa is 12 cases per day while the recovery rate is at 94.69%.

While the city remains to have one of the lowest COVID-19 attack rates among local government units in Metro Manila, Muntinlupa CHO reminds the public to observe “utmost caution” especially when taking a commute in public transportation and in their workplaces.

The local government is set to coordinate with companies and tricycle and jeepney operators to reinforce the implementation of health measures in their establishments and vehicles.

Recently, Muntinlupa City StaySafe.PH Task Force intensifies its contact tracing efforts through the implementation of StaySafe.PH app. Members of the Business Permits and Licensing Office has conducted inspections in various malls and other establishments to ensure full compliance to the contact tracing initiatives.

Mayor Jaime Fresnedi urged city residents not to let their guard down and strictly follow minimum health protocols amid rising cases in the city.

“The arrival of COVID-19 vaccines in the country should not give us a false sense of security. COVID-19 is still here and we should continue observing health protocols such as wearing our face mask and face shield, physical distancing, and washing of hands,” the local exec said.

Fresnedi also appealed to the public to refrain taking non-essential trips.

While the IATF has issued guidelines for a unified travel protocols for all local government units easing cross-border trips, the city government eyes to impose stricter travel protocols for inbound visitors especially individuals coming from the province. Muntinlupa also supports the decision of the Metro Manila Council for the deferment of reopening cinemas due to health concerns.


*Source: Public Information Office