The Department is primary catalyst for excellence in local governance that nurtures self-reliant, progressive, orderly, safe and globally competitive communities sustained by God-centered and empowered citizenry.
The Department shall promote peace and order, ensure public safety, strengthen capability of local government units through active people participation and a professionalized corps of civil servants.
- Implement laws and rules, regulations, other issuances, policies, plans, programs and projects of the Department;
- Provide efficient and effective service to local government;
- Coordinate with regional offices of other departments, offices and agencies affecting local administration and development;
- Assist local governments develop their overall capabilities for local government administration and development; and
- Perform other functions as may be delegated by the Secretary or as provided for by law.